Saturday, December 3, 2011

So much to write about...

SO LITTLE TIME.

I feel like I barely have breathing room at the moment. I was a little disappointed that I haven't been able to fill you in on all the interesting, exciting, and frustrating things going on at the moment.

I've almost survived a whole semester of doctoral work. All I have left:
  • 18 Days
  • 3 Papers
  • 2 Exams
  • 1 Presentation (not in peaaaaaaaar treeeee!)
  • Many many sleepless nights...
DMeetUps:
  • Babs (@babssoup) & Her Husband (@kssoup)
    Easily one of the cutest couples ever. We went out to the Macaroni Grill and it was awesome because we played with crayons on the table cloth. And Lobster Ravioli. I made them my Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookies. Babs and I talked for hours about... well... everything. It was fantastic.
  • Cherise (@diabetic_iz_me)
    Someone who's impacted so much change wanted to meet little old me? And she had a special request for some pumpkin pie (and she got a WHOLE lot more baked loving in sugar cookie madness). I loved listening to her ideas and drive to reach as many diabetics out there as possible. Tons of fun on our brief breakfast encounter.
  • Steven and Stephanie of LivingVertical (@LivingVertical) [Okay not quite but it's coming!]
    I'm in awe of these two, because they managed to figure out how to do what they love ALL the time, instead of just as a hobby. They're overcoming diabetes one rock at a time across the US everyday of 2012. They went climbing this weekend in Boston with my awesome friend, Fatima (@shahzadii). Let's just say they were on my mind and here's the photographic proof that I was on theirs!
Diabetes Adventures (in brief):
  • Switched Infusion Sets from the Silhoutte to the Mio!
    - Love that I can tell the tubing where to come out from. Makes alternate sites a little less complicated
    - Had a few fights with the built-in inserter, but I think we're on better terms now
    - Not totally comfortable with removing the needle by pulling on a giant plastic hub
    - Day 3 seems to be a little on the less effective side. Play around with that later.
  • I tried putting my Dexcom in on my hip (didn't go so well)
    - Thought moving my Dex to somewhere else would be easier than using alternate site for infusion sets
    - Good logic, poor execution
    - May not have worked cause I was in such a hurry (welcome to the whirlwind that is my life)

  • Terrifying experience at the Pharmacy
    - Called in for Test Strips and Novolog
    - Test strips needed a new prescription but they'd call the doc
    - Arrive at pharmacy to find JUST test strips waiting for me
    - Apparently the last pharmacy (in NH) had billed the insurance for 3 months for a 1 month supply
    - Insurance wasn't going to cover more right now
    - Pharmacy in NH said they'd just give me the difference when I came there
    - Wasn't planning on making that 5 hour journey for another... 4 weeks.
    - The AWESOME Pharmacist just gave me 3 vials to tide me over and said to deal with the other people when I get back to NH.

  • Won a free class at Type 1 University
    - I called in on DSMA live and correctly answered the following question:
    What are the names of the two hormones lacking in Type 1 Diabetes?
    - The answer is Insulin (which I think all of us know by now) and Amylin (which acts on stomach nerves to slow down the rate of digestion and aid glycemic control)
    - There are too many awesome classes for me to choose from so I'm picking my top 3 and letting you guys do the rest (just leave your vote in the comments!)
    *Blood Glucose Control During Sport & Exercise
    *Strike the Spike: After-Meal Glucose Control
    *Weight Loss for Insulin Users
    - Live Classes seem to all be in January so we'll see which class has the most votes in 2 weeks
Thanks for your help as always and for reading all my ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment