Sunday, October 13, 2013

October Bits and Bytes

I've been hiding in the real world diabetes community and my twitter feed and blogging reflects that with silence. So in lieu of skipping all the fun stuff, here's some of the major highlights:

Today:
I volunteered at a JDRF Walk for a Cure on the Jersey Shore. My friend and I were in charge of signing up Government Relations Advocates. I got 3 actual signups but I spoke to several dozen people who were already advocates. Warmed my heart. Only down side to the day has been the perpetual gluco-coaster I've been riding. My bloodsugar hasn't been this high in a while. I think someone swapped my insulin for water. I may also blame the bagel I ate (avoiding carbs is so difficult with free food)
---
Late September:
Since I've hit 4 years with my Paradigm 722, I got a call a few weeks ago about upgrading. A week later, I was notified about the latest FDA approval for the Minimed 530G (aka the fancy closer to artificial pancreas pump). I'm a little skeptical but trying to be open minded. So far (before actually having it on my doorstep), my only big complaint is that Minimed's CGM transmitter is still shaped like a seashell. I've been spoiled by the relatively well adherence of my Dexcom sensors, but maybe this time I'll figure out some D-ninja skills for taping it down. The ETA for my new pump is another week or two.
---
Late September:
I lost my Dexcom CGM receiver, Eggy, on campus one night. After retracing my steps, inspecting the lecture hall, and tearing apart every possible spot, I dishearteningly gave into his permanent disappearance. I'm still convinced he's stealthily hiding in my car or room, but I called Dexcom up to have them send me a new receiver.  I have enough sensors in stock that it was silly not to follow through with that option. Now that I may be transitioning to a MM CGM, I feel EVEN more silly. Oh well.
---
Late August:
I'm not in love with my new doctor but I don't have any reason to be offended by her. She's very matter-of-factual. I was a little turned off by meeting/reviewing my history with a med student before I met her but that's the blessing/curse of teaching hospitals. I love helping students, but for a doctor I'm going to see 2-3 times a year, I wish she had built some of a rapport with me before inviting a student in. We discussed stuff. She filled my prescriptions. Very transactional. We'll see what happens in 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment