Monday, January 5, 2015

New Diabetes Firsts

When you've had Type 1 for a while, you start to forget the first - the first finger stick, the first shot, the first infusion site, etc. You remember them in these vague ways with hazy memories with pinpoint details about the pain and the size of your tools.

Today, I had not just one but two firsts (which after more than 15 years is always surprising). I woke up feel laden down but convinced myself that checking my blood sugar would help sort out the source of my morning apathy. This fingerstick glucose test is one thing I've done several thousand times. Today was the first time that I lanced myself while pulling the highly engineered poker out of its holster. It happened so fast that I'm still struggling to grasp what happened. In one swift motion the elastic cocked the spring and somehow pushed the button before the tester was entirely free of its holster. So my PSA for the day: don't grab your poking device quickly, otherwise you'll get stabbed when you're least expecting it.

Hand wrapped around lancing device
The incorrect way to remove a lancing device from a holster
Don't try this at home!
Of course I tried to use the blood drop that squeezed out. The little red point on my abused finger seemed like a reasonable size, but of course, I got the dreaded "Error 5: Not enough blood on the strip" message. After grabbing  another strip and shoving it into the mouth of my meter, I squeezed the same finger hoping to save myself from another stab. Apparently, I squeezed a little too hard or a little to vehemently but it turned into a squirter. Not suprising for anyone who sticks themselves with sharp objects. What was surprising was that not only had it squirted along my finger (which happens every now and again), but also it had squeezed with such violent force that there was as Bob Ross would have said - a happy little red puddle on my chin. Never have I ended up with blood on my face because of my unruly pancreatic condition. Until today. Yay.

3 comments:

  1. Wow... I was hoping these firsts would be all good! Hope tomorrow is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always leave the lancer in its case when I use it - but the Delica lancer and the Bayer contour case don't always play nice together.I haven't quite squirted my face in blood, but I have gripped the lancer in such a way that the ultra-loose depth setting gets rolled up to 8 before hitting the button. Ouch! (Also: good to hear from you again! It's been awhile)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria

    I left a comment on your blog post several days ago on behalf of the company I work for: Azumio, Inc. I wanted to follow-up and again reiterate our interest in having you become a guest blogger for our blog as your expertise and passion about diabetes would be a prime category of interest for our users. This is a chance for you to not only expand your personal community rapidly but to make a real difference in the world of health.

    I hope you will give me a chance to elaborate on the benefits that will come with an Azumio partnership. If you are interested, please e-mail me at jennifer.ta@azumio.com and I will send all the necessary information.

    Thank you and I really hope to hear from you soon.

    Best regards,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete