Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Things My Blood Sugar Should Not Equal

1. My age
2. Number of hours in the day
3. Almost the speed limit in school zones
4. A TV show staring Kiefer Sutherland
5. Total number of ribs in the human body
6. The number of carats in pure gold
7. Yotta
8. The atomic number of chromium
9. Players on the field in a Canadian football game
10. Total number of pieces in a game of Checkers

And yet, this surprised me today:

After a few double takes, I rechecked 4 times with two meters: 28, 26, 29, 25.

Of course, this occurred in the two hours I was waiting before calibrating Eggy. No symptoms. I felt a little funny but wasn't suspecting a low at all. No shaking until 20 minutes later when treated with a few gulps of orange juice. Oh diabetes, you get stranger and stranger everyday.

7 comments:

  1. As much as I don't like that you were so low, I love your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely get this! All lows are not created equal. For example: I barely felt it when I jumped off the elliptical yesterday only to find my bs at 40 mg/dL versus the shaky, hollow, eat everything in sight 56 mg/dL I felt before dinner two nights ago. Diabetes is so, so strange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi – Will you please post a link to your Blog at The Type 1 Diabetes Community? Our members will love it.
    Members include: Other Type 1 Diabetics, their family and friends.
    It's easy to do, just cut and paste the link and it automatically links back to your website… it’s a win win. It’s free and easy.
    Email me if you need any help or would like me to do it for you.
    The Type 1 Diabetes Community: http://www.vorts.com/type_1_diabetes/
    Thanks,
    James Kaufman, Editor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes Maria! Scary stuff!

    And yes, I totally had to look up "yotta"...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear the beep....beep....beep....from 24. Hahahaha. Glad you're alive enough to write this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hay, i like your list. Its really interesting and useful. You looks crazy with your experience. Looking for more points form your side.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your 20 + 24 lists! But this: "I felt a little funny but wasn't suspecting a low at all." Y I K E S

    ReplyDelete